Are these Peach trees sustainable?

thewilldogMarch 29, 2013

Hello, I've got a pair of FloridaKing peach trees that have issues. Both trees are about three years old.

Tree #1 had an animal crawl up it last year and broke off one primary branches. Now all the tree's growth is on the right side. It's not leaning yet, but I fear what it's going to do in another 3-5 years.

Tree #2 has a crooked trunk as well. It's primary branches are intact, but I'm not sure what it's going to look like a few years.

Side note, I haven't gotten a darn peach off these trees yet. Last year all the green peaches got worms and fell off. This year a late freeze killed all the tiny peach buds. I was at the home improvement store today and saw some young peach trees with nice straight trunks for less than $20. I'm seriously considering chopping these down and starting over. Is that a reasonable decision?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thewilldog

Tree #2

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:39PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Will Dog,

Unless you are very concerned about aesthetics, I wouldn't even consider chopping these trees down.

The first one looks like it has some nice lateral shoots you could turn into scaffolds.

The second one has a "Y" that I'm not that big a fan of, but you could still cut some of that vertical growth off, to get the tree to spread out a little more (unless you want tall trees, in which case you'd prune off one of the "Y" branches).

Crooked trunks don't mean anything when it comes to peach trees. I've got trunks leaning every which direction and all kinds of crooks, but I just train the tree accordingly from the branches that grow out.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 4:59PM
john_in_sc

"Worms" getting your peaches is probably because you didn't spray... not a defect caused by the peach tree itself.

Next - if you are really worried about the form your tree is growing - prune it back to a more "Normal" shape over the next few years...

Thanks

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:57PM
thewilldog

You're correct, I've never sprayed. Didn't get a chance this year since all the baby peach buds froze and died.

I'm not that worried about aesthetics, just whether or not they'll avoid falling over due to their own weight.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 8:40PM
john_in_sc

That's more a factor of pruning and thinning out fruit.... Most fruit trees will set several times more fruit than they could ever safely bear.... You will need to heavily thin the small fruit off of the trees so they don't bend over and break...

Thanks

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Walnut scion wanted
I know it is getting late but mine are not budding...
jerry63
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Sponsored Products
Abbyson Living Larua Linen Tufted Dining Chair - Beige - HS-DC-485-CRM
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Kayu Dining Table
Design Within Reach
Jane Seymour Rose Buds 9 in. Silk Flower Arrangement - JB360-GR
$160.00 | Hayneedle
MOTI Furniture - Grizzley Long Buffet - 38009003
Great Furniture Deal
Folio Wall Sconce by Foscarini
$592.00 | Lumens