Painful Gout

lilikoi(zone 8)July 9, 2007

Hi,

Would anyone have any suggestions on treating or at least alleviating some of the symptoms of gout (joint swelling, pain). At the health food center in my area; cherry extract was recommended, as well as a product called "Goutrol". I have been on these two for about a week now but do not see too much improvement. I have altered my diet substantially; abstained from meat, high fat, drank lots of water, ate lots of vegetables, and took B-complex supplements.

Thanks for your help,

J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Have you tried conventional treatments with your doctor?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gout Info

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 10:52PM
tressa(SECA)

J: be patient. I would give it at least a month. You are right about the water...you need to flush the uric acid from your system, and your diet change is great. Again, just give it some time.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 3:11PM
lilikoi(zone 8)

Thank you both for the feedback and support. I'm feeling much better this week; but I can't tell whether it's from the herbals or the Colchicum (couldn't stand it anymore so I asked my doc for some...I hate to use it though).

Best,

Jae

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 3:52PM
lorna-organic

Certain foods are supposed to be bad for gout. I don't remember what all of them are. I recall that sardines and lentils are on the list.

In days gone by, gout used to be called a rich man's disease, because people who had the money to eat rich foods were typically the ones who suffered from gout.

Good luck with your research. I hope you find a solution which works for you.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 4:22PM
lucy(6)

If your MD gave you Colchicine then don't mess around with other things while you're on it as they could interfere with its effectiveness at best, introduce unwanted side effects at worst. Let it do its job without having to fight off other things at the same time!

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 9:43PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Most fruits and vegetables (with certain exceptions) are part of a good dietary plan for limiting problems with gout.

Cherries are fine but there's nothing that makes them superior to other fruits for gout prevention.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diet for gout

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
Salvia D.
Would this be a suitable place to talk about Diviner's...
winterpeg_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™