Too late to start peaches from seed?

canadianplantMarch 19, 2014

I know stone fruits tend to need a long period of stratification to break dormancy. I still have 60 days on average until my last frost and am wondering if it will be worth it to try to start peaches from seed?

I am either going to stratify them in the fridge or pot them up, protect the pot from criters then bury it in the snow outside so they can be exposed to proper spring conditions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

No..its not too late.

I do wonder where you are getting them from???

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 5:10PM
glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.

I would wait till the summer and get some Ontario fruit stuff that way you will have a better chance of getting a hardier plant.
make up a marked plot and plant directly into the soil after you have eaten the entire basket and wait for spring to roll around.
glenn

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 7:45PM
canadianplant

Hey frank..... I got them from superstore a canadian chain of grocery store. They are tree ripe yellow peaches from chile. They are disgusting lol. Just look treated for slow ripening or were frozen. Still going to use the pits.

Glenn... that is always my intention. I unfortunately missed the season last year. They arent supposed to be hardy here so I need as many as I can get for trials.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:00AM
glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.

It would be nice if some others would post some pics and updates on their seedling "stuff". I will post some pics of some other seedling trees I have growing here. I have lots of space so there are various seedlings of peach, plum apricot, apple etc. A good number produce fantastic fruit while others not so fantastic, but in any event they have proven to be hardy here so they get to stay:)
I encourage anyone with the room and patience to grow some seed out.....you may stumble on a real gem!
I posted a link of a thread from a couple of years ago. They produced some fantastic fruit again last year and hoping for some again this year. It was a real test winter this year, really long cold then big warm up then really cold .......still really cold now!
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0820041119336.html

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™