For a diurectic, Do you use the root or the leaves of Dandelions

debethz(C MO)August 19, 2005

Hi, I am so new to this, I could use some help. I have water retention and need relief. Do I use the root or the leaves of the Dandelion? I bought a herbal supplement called Dandelion Root 520 mg and wonder if I did the right thing or not. Will wait for replies before I take any.

Also if anyone got the story of the amazing exercise to get rid of water rention as mentioned on Gandy's post plz forward it to me. My main email address is debethz@hotmail.com. Due to that virus thingy to join Garden Web I had to use a differnt email address cause msn wouldnt let me replay. Either will work, thanks, Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Usually, it's the leaves which are used as a diuretic. However, the roots also have diuretic properties.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 6:54PM
john1

Hi Beth, Both will work but fresh is usually preferable.
Be sure of your identification if you are collecting your own plants. Otherwise consult a local hebalists or botanist.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 8:58PM
lucy(6)

Hi, if you're retaining water, there could be serious medical reasons, and you need to see your doctor to discuss it and not just take advice from strangers on the internet about weeds in your garden.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 5:17AM
eibren(z6PA)

There is an instant dandelion root tea with chicory and barley out now that is quite tasty and noncaffeinated; you might want to try that if your local healthfood store corries it. I have been drinking it cold all summer with milk and ice and pretending it is iced coffee.

The amount in a beverage is more a food amount and would be a low key way to ingest some dandelion root without possibly overdosing yourself. If it seemed to help, you could drink more or less to taste.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 1:31AM
debethz(C MO)

Thanks, I have gone to the doctors, hince me coming here. Not surpizingly they havent helped me. I am taking Dandelion root in tablet form just because I already bought it. I will do the fresh when this is all gone.
Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 2:11PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Lucy

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 8:45PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Lucy saying fellow herbalism members are strangers on internet giving advise about weeds in garden. (DANDELION)

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Herbal Remedies for diabetics
What Herb is grown for the treatment of diabetes? Thanks...
jctsai8b
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™