How to make an extract of fresh Spilanthes?

quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)August 29, 2005

Please tell me how to use this herb which can be used to prevent infections. Do I boil it or what? I grow it in my garden. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Medicinal uses of Toothache Plant (Spilanthes acmella).

Whole plant is used to stimulate healing, and as a tonic to boost the immune system, usually taken at the first signs of an infection, either bacterial or viral. Its tonic powers are increased when used with Echinacea. The flower buds are used as a local anaesthetic for sore teeth and gums, and as an antiseptic. The dried buds are usually chewed. They stimulate the flow of saliva, sometimes copiously. An extract can also be used, or half a cup of flower bud tea taken. The tea is also used as a mouthwash to help prevent tooth decay. It is sometimes used to treat cold sores. Use as a gargle for sore throat.

Collect leaves and flower-buds at any time. For drying, collect when the plant is at its peak, near the end of summer. Dig up the entire plant, wash it clean, and hang it to dry. To collect the seeds, allow seed heads to dry on the plant before removing them. They store well. The dried flowers are effective for about one year after collecting.

To make the tea: Pour 1 cup boiling water over 1-2 teaspoons dried flowers (or leaves depending on what you are using the plant for). Steep for 10-15 minutes, and strain.

Here is a link that might be useful: making herbal extracts

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
Permanent dark eye circles?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend has what seems to be permanent...
Hapslappy
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
warming herbs
How do herbalists today believe that warming herbs...
carrie-ann
Toasted my rose petals, that OK?
Hi all, I'm trying to infuse rose petals into coconut...
emilylyons22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™