Is it too late for dormant oil on my apples?

wertach zone 7-B SCMarch 26, 2014

I have been working a lot of overtime and didn't get around to spraying my apples and peaches.

I'm pretty sure it's too late on the peaches they are in full bloom. The apples are starting to put on leaves.

The apples get scab and bugs.

Is it too late or something else I can use?

PS, a freeze last night 24, if that makes a difference?

This post was edited by wertach on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 14:41

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
campv

Spray the apples now you still got a chance that is a NG on the peaches can't spray in bloom.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 5:11PM
alan haigh

Do not get your info only on the internet, read the label carefully- you don't want to spray green tissue within about 24 hours of a freeze- one side or the other, as I recall but I will be reading the label again to refresh my memory before I do any spraying.

I manage an orchard of old apple trees that lost a years crop and some trees lost some huge scaffold branches because some idiot sprayed green tissue when there was frozen dew on the ground. Thank God I wasn't the idiot...THAT TIME- it was an employee of a very well known tree care company.

If you are using horticultural oil and the label says it's good on green tissue then you are better off spraying at some point from half inch green to tight cluster for scale and mites. Aphids are apparently best to spray at green tip.

The only thing I spray for when trees are dormant is pear trees for pear blister mite.

There was another question about oil recently that covered a lot of the info on the subject if you search for it.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 5:24PM
rayrose(8)

I think you're a bit late and chalk it up to better scheduling next year.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 5:44PM
alan haigh

Actually you can use oil in the mix at petal fall if there is any point- just don't put any Captan in the mix. I've controlled scale that was damaging apple trees with this timing because the customer only wanted to pay for two sprays and up here we can usually get sound apples with only two sprays of the right compounds.

If the flowers aren't showing too much pink it is not too late for a delayed dormant spray either at 1% of horticultural oil to water.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 7:49PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Thanks harvestman!

When I read your first post I slapped myself on the head and said, DUH!

The container instructions, which I'm bad about reading until I get ready to use, says it is OK to use now!

rayrose, Thanks for your reply, but the scheduling was out of my hands. I'm on call 24-7-365. I'm a maintenance electrician and the bad weather had me stuck at work, I never came home for 3 straight days during the snow storm.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Sponsored Products
Time Comes Knocking Clock
| Dot & Bo
Barcelona Daybed-Red - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Halogen Wall Sconce No. 9416/1 with Swingarm by Holtkoetter
$418.00 | Lumens
Ivory, Handmade Runner - H2181
BH Sun Inc
Black Orchid Cheese Board
$200.00 | Horchow