Old bluberry patch

scraplink(7b)March 26, 2013

Last year we bought an abandoned house with ten acres. The previous owner's mother was a gardener but everything has been neglected for at least a decade. I have discovered a patch with dozens of blueberry bushes, some over my head! I have not figured out the variety, and am wondering how to try to handle them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueberryhillsfarm

In an attempt to turn these blueberry trees back into bushes, I would prune out at least a third of the top. Hopefully you will get some shoots coming from the ground or near the base. I would keep the lowest shoots and next year prune out another third of the top. I would keep doing this until it returned to a more normal shape. Canes older than 6-8 years tend to get very twiggy, producing small fruit.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 3:47PM
n2xjk

Is that lichen on the bark? If so, that's a sign its too shady. The more sun you can give the blueberries, the better.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 4:17PM
ericwi

If there are deer in the area, the blueberry shrubs may have adapted by getting too tall to be easily browsed. Also, too tall to be easily picked, when the fruit ripens.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:22PM
scraplink(7b)

Thanks. We have marked several trees for removal to open it up. Today upon further inspection I have found that the entire hill is covered with blueberry shrubs. More than I could even count. I have my work cut out for me!

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™