Boneset

cmarlow41(z7 MD USA)September 23, 2006

I have a beautiful, very large boneset that I am harvesting. Does anyone who has used the tea or tincuture have an opinion on whether I should tincture the entire plant or dry some of it for tea? Also, I've researched the ratios for the tincture, but am unsure whether I should use the stem as well as the leaves and flowering tops. Does the stem have any beneficial constituents? Thanks...I'm new to this forum but it sure is informative.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

When I harvest boneset, I snip the plant about 10-12 inches from the ground. If I am going to tincture it fresh, I strip off the leaves and use the flowering tops as well. If I am going to dry it, I hang it upside down and when it is dried, strip the leaves and flowering tops. You can tincture fresh or dried (making adjustments in the alcohol/water ratio) or use it for tea. Be aware that boneset contains PAs and should only be used for short-term and not by those with liver damage.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 7:20AM
cmarlow41(z7 MD USA)

Thanks so much for the info. Do you have a a preference to the tea or the tincture?

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 11:56AM
herbalbetty

tincture

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 7:48AM
marie194

I have made a boneset tincture with vodka using a glass jar. Someone asked me if I should leave the lid on tightly or loosely (any concern with fermentation?). Does it matter? Thanks for the information.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 1:54PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Alcohol evaporates readily - tightly closed.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 5:20PM
kaliaman

depends on how you're using it. boneset is traditionally used to induce sweating, lower fever and ease body aches that occur at the first onset of a cold or flu....tincture won't do that but a couple cups of the hot tea will. its very bitter so understand why a tincture is preferred, but traditionally it is consumed as an infusion.

if using it as a digestive bitter a tincture would work fine.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™