Need advice on Mullein

rick_in_va(7 VA)October 11, 2011

Hello,

I need some info on common mullein (Verbascum thapsus). I have been taking a medicinal herbs class this fall, and I had an opportunity to try some mullein leaves for a cold and chest congestion. Discovered what a grand and effective remedy it is.

I went out looking to gather some but I discovered that presently around here it has all dried up and turned brown. So I decided to collect some seeds and grow some in my back yard next spring.

I broke open some of the dried flower pods on the long spike at the top, but I didn't find any seeds, just some grainy dust about the size of table salt. Where are the seeds and what do they look like?

Any info would be appreciated.

Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Seeds are tiny, not much bigger than grainy dust. Oops! Maybe those were seeds! :) If you can find another dry flower spike tip it upside down into a brown paper bag and shake it/beat it around a bit. You will surely get at least a few seeds out it.

Tip - look for new mullein plants around the base of this year's flowering plants. There will certainly be some babies around within 10-20'. While they do transplant, in my experience they resent it and refuse to grow to full height/size after transplanting. They will still flower and produce copious amounts of seeds - and mullein plants will be yours for ever more!

Seed can also be had from the online vendors like Richters and Horizon Herbs.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 9:02AM
jupiterplants(10/A)

I have been suffering asthma during the winter months here in south Florida for years. I use Advair, Singular, Albuuterol in a nebulizer, and a rescue inhaler and hate the way it makes me feel. I recently bought a blend of herbs that is smoked , and the results are nothing less that amazing . Coltsfoot and mullein with some skullcap valerian and damiana. It is wonderful to be able to breath without the horrible side effects. So far so good !

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 10:19AM
WinstonL(10a)

My experience is similar to fatamorgana's. Mullein is best direct sown! Also, watch the water...too much will make it quite unhappy. Horizon is a good seed source. All Good Things has a few different varieties as well http://www.agtoseeds.com/collections/mullein

And fatamorgana is right...let it go to seed once, and it will be with you for life!

w

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
Vermifuges
With global warming, many will be encountering parasites...
eibren
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
jctsai8b
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
Sponsored Products
Maria Theresa Gold Nine-Light 26-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Filament Design Lamps Cooper 67 in. Brushed Steel Incandescent Floor Lamp
Home Depot
Dometic 52-qt. Portable Fridge/Freezer
$900.00 | FRONTGATE
Simple Designs Lamps 8.66 in. Orange Ceramic Globe Table Lamp LT2008-ORG
$10.99 | Home Depot
Innova Fitness Folding Upright Bike with Tablet Holder - XB350
$152.97 | Hayneedle
Soho Right-facing Outdoor Armchair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Filament Design Ceiling Mounted Lighting Catherine 4-Light Polished Chrome
Home Depot
Justice Design Group GLA-8704 - Aero 4 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$550.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™