No news from my weeping Santa Rosa Plum?

ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)March 27, 2010

I was a little late in getting this tree - maybe mid - january '10 (for my area, it was the end of bareroot season). This was a DWN dormant bare root tree. When I decided to get it, the only tree left in the nursery was puny, but I decided to buy it anyway because I wanted it. Now, it is end of march and it has been planted in a sunny spot and its weeping branches pruned back by 1/3rd and there is no sign of anything from this tree. All my other bareroot plantings are flowering and leafing out. This tree has green branches, though and a few tiny buds that are swelling, but has been that way for a month already. How long should I wait before taking this tree back to the nursery (they have a 1 year warranty)? Or is there hope for this tree yet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

If the branches are still supple there is still hope. However as late as it is it may not make it and only time will tell. Old school is to prune a bareroot tree while its still dormant chopping all the branches and the central leader. Others now say its best not to cut off the terminal buds because they produce a growth hormone that helps the tree establish itself. I can't say who is right or wrong. However I have found that the bareroot trees I have pruned that come with branches take a good while longer to leaf out. They take longer than the bareroot trees that came with branches that I do not prune. They also take longer to leaf out than the bareroot trees that come with all their branches cut off.

Nothing scientific about it, just my personal observation you can so take it or leave it. However after this season I personally will not do any pruning the first season on bareroot trees. My one exception will be summer pruning after they have already leafed out.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
November Vole Damage
Voles have attacked my apple trees. A few of them are...
tedgrowsit
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Shores Somerset Area Rug - RUG110945
$50.00 | Hayneedle
Upton Home Brinley Counter Height Dining Table
Overstock.com
Stilo 10 Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Ceylon Glass
$756.00 | Bellacor
Dimond Massena 2-light Dimmable Chrome LED Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Nova Earring Reclining White Table Lamp
Lamps Plus