Toothache Plant - Spilanthes acmella

chervil2(z5 MA)October 25, 2013

I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with using this herb for conditions other than toothaches. Scientific publications from India and Brazil state the remarkable properties of this plant. I grow the toothache plant as a curiousity and enjoy the appearance of the glossy leaves and pointy eyeball like flowers. Sometimes I add leaves to my salad to enjoy the flavor and numbing sensation. I can see the value of having a tincture of the flowers and/or leaves on hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bioactivity of Spilanthes acmella

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaliaman

i make up an herbal toothpowder for my own personal use and include a bit of spilanthes in there. leaves a nice tingle behind after brushing.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:06AM
HerbDoctor

I've only known to use prickly ash bark for my sensitive teeth but never used spilanthes. Has anyone compared spilanthes to prickly ash to know which one is better? Or maybe they do the same thing?

Thanks.

HerbDoctor

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 9:26PM
kaliaman

their actions are similar and could be used interchangeably for this purpose, imo. prickly ash is stronger so you'd probably use less proportionally in your mixture.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 1:31PM
HerbDoctor

Thanks, K.

HerbDoctor

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 10:36AM
warren56(7)

Spilanthes acmella (or oleracea, they're just two different names for the same plant) will kill plasmodial diseases and blood parasites, and prevent heartworms in pets. It kills Giardia and prevents food poisoning. It also increases production of white blood cells and antiviral Interferon. Spilanthes and Prunella will prevent/cure MRSA. I've grown and used both Spilanthes and Prunella for over 13 years, and will never be without them.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
insect bites remedies
I have used a chickweed salve and most bites clear...
samtom_gw
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™