First Year Strawberries

christine283(7)March 26, 2012

I grew a couple of strawberry plants last year but didn't know the nitty gritty details. We planted them, got a couple handfuls of fruit and that was it.

Bought some more and actually found time to read up on them, and am seeing that for the first year, the blossoms are supposed to be removed so the plant can focus on getting established? No harvest this year, but more the next?

Is this really true? I'll do it, if that means a bigger harvest next year, but I want to know for sure before I start throwing away blossoms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myk1(5 IL)

I don't worry about it.
I have a gigantic planter that's easier to weed now but before when I was planting a patch the first and second year was all you could really hope for.

I let mine fruit last year and the ones on the north side of the pyramid don't seem any worse for it. The ones on the south aren't so great but that was because it was so hot and no rain last year. It was impossible to keep up with spraying them.

I think what picking the flowers really does for you is it gets them to send out runners sooner to fill in the patch. If you planted densely you don't have as much need to fill in.
In my planter 1 bunch of 50 bare root planted enough per side that minimal runners were able to fill it up and I'm sure next summer I'll be ripping out the original mothers.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
The legendary Angelcot tastes blah
For those of you who have not heard of angelcots, they...
Scott F Smith
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Sponsored Products
Cigar Criss Cross Pendant
Lightology
Madison Etruscan Gold Six-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 24W x
$746.00 | Bellacor
Orange Conversation Chairs - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Babyletto | COCO Core Dry Organic Crib Mattress
YLiving.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$59.00 | Home Depot
Safavieh Hand-woven Bliss Chocolate Shag Rug (9'6 x 13'6)
Overstock.com
Classic Wicker Outdoor Throw Pillow, Patio Furniture
$168.00 | FRONTGATE
Brass Turtle Box
$295.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™