Need help with grapes...

NAUgrad2005March 6, 2013

I planted 3 different varieties of grapes when I moved into my home 6 years ago: Thompson's Seedless green grapes, Concord grapes and a red grape. The plants did well and bore fruit each year, but I've lost my crops the past 2 years due to powdery mildew. The vines grow in a planter area in the corner of my backyard but span roughly 15 feet wide along the fence. During the season, I was diligent with keeping my vines open and airy. This year, I think I'll try to treat them. I'm at a loss of what to do this spring though,,,should I cut off any areas that still look diseased? The vines are watered by my sprinkler system daily throughout the spring and summer, although the sprinklers only run for about 10 minutes in the backyard. Please help...I'm a grape novice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Daily water probably isn't the cause of your powdery mildew. But it's not a good schedule for grapes or even a lawn for that matter. Could you go to a weekly or twice weekly watering?

Grapes would do best with a deep watering every couple weeks. Once a week on shallow soil.

Study the info linked below and you will be an expert on PM of grapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: grape PM

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 5:31PM
murkwell

Also its probably best to water the roots and not the foliage.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:00PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I had some powdery mildew last year.

This year I may try spraying with a solution of milk. I may also try EM (effective organisms).

Definitely not into soaking my food with fungicides.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 10:55PM
campv

I have been growing grapes for about 20 yrs now(Calf. & AZ) and have learned a lot, mostly the hard way. First and formost do not water the vines from above Big NG. Do not water with a sprinkler under them as it will drive the spores. Put them on drip system or deep water with the hose. They get wet and are not dry by night you will get fugus or if it rains and they do not dry quickly, you will get fungus. If you have lots of humindity you are going to get fungus. Though I don't remmber Idaho haviing tons of humidity in the Coer d' Alene area , but I don't no where you are at. Keeping them aired out is perfect.
As for the fungus during the dorment season you can spray and it won't effect the fruit. I use a dorment spray 3 times during the winter and if I had fungus the year before I will spray with a funguside before leaf break. Keep the leaves dry, maybe even a little dusty dirty. Once there is leaf break I do not spray @ all. Hope this will help

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 2:42PM
TheDerek

spray with wettable sulfur or dust with sulfur every 2 weeks from bud break till veriason, assuming your grapes arent sulfur sensitive.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:11AM
More Discussions
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Modular Industrial Large Outdoor Wall Light
YLighting
Elite Cuisine Stainless Steel 8.5-quart Slow Cooker
Overstock.com
Energy Efficient White Fabric 10 1/4" Wide Ceiling Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Otos PL Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$306.00 | Lumens
Tufted Aubusson Rug 3'6" Round
$189.00 | Horchow