High Chill Apples in Houston

kingwood(9)March 30, 2012

My apples are still doing great in Houston. Liberty, Wickson, Pristine, Jonalicious, Sundowner and Hawkeye are still fruiting despite the published high chill requirements. The only one I am having problems with is Goldrush. It has flowered once and I only had a few days overlap with my other varieties. I purchased the wickson to pollinate the goldrush, but the goldrush has not bloomed since purchase of the wickson. I am going to give goldrush a little more time before I pull it because it is supposed to be so good.

My favorites of the varieties that I am growing are Liberty, Jonalicious, and Hawkeye. They are exceptional here. I have yet to taste a ripe Jonalicious. I eat them while still green....they are that good. Maybe this year they may make it till ripe. All varieties are on dwarfing rootstocks. Either bud 9 or the Cummins G rootstocks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

I have a stubborn Golden delicious that has not come around yet either but this warm winter did not give it much of a chance. I do have a Jonagold that came on line this year with a lot of blooms.

You don't have summer apples like Anna? Anna apples are in my top 5. The usual Golden Dorsett pollinator, not so much. I think you have to time picking them down to minute to get a good one. One day its green the next day its mushy.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 4:30PM
rasputinj

For SoCal this guy has a website of high chill apples that do well in SoCal.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/growingapples.htm

I am going to graft some high chill varieties to a few of my low chill apples.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 12:14AM
redrac(9 NW Houston)

rasputinj You might want to check the kuffel creek website again. He says that grafting hi chill apples onto lower chill will not work because which ever variety that blooms first takes up the energy from the tree and hi chill only work on their own tree.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™