Which one? Spilanthes acmella or spilanthes oleracea?

tumblingtomatoesOctober 17, 2008

****** I just posted this same message in the herb forum cause I didnot know which would have better info for me, here or there? ******

Newbee here w/ another post about toothache plant...

Can anyone tell me which one is the one you can chew leaves & or flowers or both for a numbing of gums? Does it only numb tongue or gums too?

It is for a family member who has nerve damage & suffers from pain in the gums. like toothaches.....but there is nothing but pain killers for the treatement for this.

I thought & was suggested by someone else to use something natural instead or as well as medications.

So.....bare with me while I ask some pretty basic questions......

Another basic question????? I have seen it in three catalogs(online),1. Baker Creek (rareseed.com) has it listed as Spilanthes acmella,

while 2. Nichols garden nursery has it listed as Spilanthes acmella / paracress

& the 3rd place I've seen it is in Seeds of Change catalog, listed as two different plants: 1. Spilanthes acmella/salad cress (says it has purple leaves & the flowers are medicinal) & has listed also 2. Spilantes Oleraccea/para cress...... saying it's leaves are chewed & flowers are ornamental & medicinal. It calls them both "Toothache Plant" though.

Hmmmm......which one do I choose if I am looking for something herbal to chew for a numbing of the mouth/gums?????? Are the flowers edible as well as the leaves or leaves only or flowers only , these descriptions are vague to me?????

Thanks! :)

Are any of these companies good co. to order seeds from or does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions where to order from? Thanks again everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

Spilanthes acmella is definitely numbing to the mouth and gums. I am not sure about the oleraccea, as I have just grown and used acmella. It's the leaves which are used for the numbing effect. You can chew fresh or dried leaves, or make a tincture and use a drop or two applied to the gums. It also causes one to salivate profusely. You might also try a drop or two of St. John's wort tincture (Hypericum perforatum)directly rubbed on the sore gums, as it has a healing effect on nerves. Just check to make sure your friend isn't taking any meds that might interact with either herb first. Best of luck to you.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 5:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
warren56(7)

Acmella and oleracea are just different names for the same plant.. Someone decides to change a species name (for whatever reason) and throws more confusion into plant identification----Turkey Tail Mushrooms have always been Coriolus versicolor, but now they're sometimes called Trametes versicolor. Go figure.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Looking for a Neurodermatitis recipie.
I'm looking for a recipe for Neurodermatitis condition...
solusumbra
What herbs are you propagating now?
I love this time of year. The majority of the planting...
jll0306
What;'s in your bottle of herbal supplement pills?
Probably not what the label claims, according to the...
rusty_blackhaw
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
Sponsored Products
Baycrest Brushed Stainless Steel One-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$89.90 | Bellacor
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bisque Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Bimbi Palio Linear Suspension by Oggetti Luce
$592.00 | Lumens
Polaris PUPLW Porcelain Undermount White
$95.17 | PLFixtures
Blazing Needles Solid Microsuede Twill Throw Pillows (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Silver Isles 6" Wide Chrome LED Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
La Mirage Winchester Medium Energy Star One-Light Outdoor Wall Light
$151.00 | Bellacor
Silhuett Down-Alternative Reversible Comforter Set
$49.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™