Can I eat evening primrose seeds from my garden ?

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)October 21, 2004

So evening primrose oil is so expensive (oenthora biennis) and I have some growing in my garden..... since the oil is taken from the seed do you think I could just eat the seeds?????? Say sprinkle them in yogurt or in bread like poppy seeds..... I know flax seed can be eaten whole (better crushed) to get the benefits of the oil..... can the same be done with evening primrose? Are there any warnings or indications from eating the whole seed? Just curious...... :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Whole plant is edible as a vegetable. Add flowers to salads, or use them as a garnish. Use leaves in salads. Seeds can be chewed, or cooked in breads and biscuits, or steamed, or roasted in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180C and sprinkled on food like pepper. Leaves and roots can be eaten fresh. The roots are sometimes eaten like olives as an after-dinner treat, or boiled like potatoes.

As with most herbs, the health benefits can come with a price tag. Evening Primrose should be used under professional supervision, and should not be used by people suffering from epilepsy. I suggest you research further.

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Gather the seeds when ripe. Grind them with mortar and pestle, store in a cool, dry place and add them to muffins, cakes, biscuits (cookies), home-made muesli, soups, stews etc.

Bookmark   October 22, 2004 at 1:19AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw
Research information suggests paw paw will prevent...
herbalpower
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Salvia D.
Would this be a suitable place to talk about Diviner's...
winterpeg_man
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
What Herb is grown for the treatment of high blood...
barb601
Growing Turmeric/Specific questions...
Hello.. I'm pleased to say that I found some fresh...
skyclad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™