Processing Black walnut Hull Powder

veggymamaOctober 19, 2008

Anyone have tips on how to make black walnut hull powder? Should I dry the hulls green or wait til they turn black? Chop them up before drying? Anything else I should know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Dry then grind.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 8:10PM
herbalistic

I understand you are supposed to use them green. I just chopped up the green hulls in a blender and tinctured it - no drying. Shake tincture for 14 days then strain and bottle.

If you are drying it I don't know how you can prevent it from turning black.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 2:28PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

If the OP is after a powder then it has to dry sometime, its easier to avoid making a huge mess if it dries as a whole hull and is then ground.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 3:36PM
trakehner_26(6)

I have a wild black walnut tree on my property, and I know that in stores, they charge an arm and a leg for the product, so this is a good post b/c I'd like to make make my own as well.
Brendan, question, what is OP? How would you say to dry it, just set it out in the sun a few days? How do I know when its fully dried? What do you think is best method for grinding? Could I just use a mortar and pestle?

Herbalistic, would I be able to just chop them in a blender, and then dry them further to make a powder? I am not too keen on using tinctures myself, so I'd rather make a powder.

Thank you everybody for helping me out. ~Karen, Ky

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 2:44PM
simplemary

Black walnut hulls are a pain in a** to process, but here goes: collect the walnuts & peel the green hull off with a SHARP knife. Cut as fine as possible. Dry to a leathery texture (they will be black), then grind in a coffee grinder. Dry again. Powder in a mortar & pestle if you want a super-fine powder.

Powder's nice for rinsing graying hair, but is typically used to dispel intestinal parasites.

Another, way to get rid of parasites which doesn't involve lots of peeling & drying of walnuts, is to eat a few cloves of raw garlic at once, which paralyzes the parasites, then wash them out a few hours later with a couple cups of apple cider (the real stuff). To make quick cider, pulp 2-3 apples in the food-processor, pour a cup of boiled water over pulp, cover immediately & let sit overnight in a cool place but not the refrigerator (too cold). Then drink.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 9:42PM
simplemary

Sorry-- strain the pulp, then drink the liquid...

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
Looking for a Neurodermatitis recipie.
I'm looking for a recipe for Neurodermatitis condition...
solusumbra
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Stone Bathroom Sink By MaestroBath
maestrobath
Kartell | Bubble Club Sofa
YLighting
Medallion Garden Rug 5'6" x 8'6"
$1,299.00 | Horchow
Monterey Outdoor Patio Sectional Sofa Set in Chocolate White
$1,828.00 | LexMod
Magis | Air-Chair, Set of 4
YLiving.com