Making soap from Soapwort

ms_minnamouse(7a)November 14, 2006

I think the title of this post is pretty self explanatory. How does one do it? Is it really different than the harsh commercial chemicals?

Is there a better soap plant to use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Actually, you don't make soap from soapwort. Not bars of soap as we know them. When you swish the roots of soapwort around in water, it sort of foams up. Not as foamy as with normal soaps or detergents, and the foam settles quickly, but it's there. So really, you just use the water in which you've swished soapwort to wash yourself, your hair or your clothes. Simple as that. You actually don't have to rinse out afterwards, though you might prefer to. It's excellent for washing delicates like lingerie or baby clothes, gives your hair a good healthy shine, and is good for a range of skin conditions.

You can, of course, include the soapwort water in a recipe for soap bars if you choose to.

Take my word for it. If you plan to use soapwort water as your preferred washing medium, you'll need LOTS of soapwort. Luckily, soapwort being a groundcover which can get out of control, that shouldn't be too much of a problem after a while!

Here is a link that might be useful: soap plants

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 5:16PM
ms_minnamouse(7a)

I wanted to use it exactly for my hair as a rinse. Good advice. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 3:22AM
diniecita

you can also add different things in the hair rinse to give it a nicer smell, or different things to your hair. If you happen to be a blonde you can put chamomile in it, or lemon juice to lighten and give a nice shire3 to your hair. you can experiment with it. I like to add mint to mine it makes me smell nice. lavender would probably work too. but the more things you add you might need to rinse afterwards.
good luck.

Bookmark   December 23, 2006 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
herbal medicine
Hello, I am just getting into indoor gardening. I f...
sunny57
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
home remedy for kittens with ringworm
My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy...
toadlilly
Herbal Remedies for diabetics
What Herb is grown for the treatment of diabetes? Thanks...
JCTsai
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™