What's the deal?

Raw_Nature(5 OH)March 14, 2013

I received my mail order nursery catalogs several weeks ago, just got around to looking at them now.. I noticed in a few catalogs, four seasons nursery for example, advertising 6 different dwarf fruit trees planted in a 10x20 area.. That's roughly a 5x6 tree area... Talking to you guys that is not the way to do things, way to close... What's the deal? Are they just on mini dwarf stock? Are they just trying to make a quick sale and could care less about the resuts in a few years? Anybody with experience with any of these "postage stamp orchards"? I can't stand when nurseries don't state the rootstock! Just curious, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravenh2001

2,3 in one hole plantings 10' apart. Prune and manage like a garden not orchard. It would work but don't go buy a cider press just yet.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:29PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

I understand what your trying to get across... I doubt the yield as well.. But I am talking about dwarfs spaced in a 5x6 area. Yield is probably little, huh? Anyone purchase one of this mini "orchards", did it do well? Why don't they tell you the rootstock? Patent, money game I'm guessing, or?

Thanks,
Joe

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:45PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Joe, I have about 200 trees at 3' spacing which is about what you would get with six trees in one row 20' long. It works fine if you know how to prune it. Some trees I planted even closer, 1' or 2', and I would not repeat that experiment. Also I believe it is important to both train the trees carefully, and to summer prune twice per summer to keep size under control. All in all it is a more advanced proposition than 6' or 10' or 16' spacing..

As raven states, you will not get a lot of fruit off anything. Its great for fresh eating of different fruits, less good for huge batches for processing.

Scott

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:21PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Scott do you have picture?

Joe

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:39PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

See the link below for some pictures I took last spring. There are two pages of pictures and click on the little pictures to see a bigger one. Several of the pictures show close plantings.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: pix

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:47PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Man Scott, them pictures hold their weight in gold, very very very helpful! Don't be afraid to send any more pictures! I think your going to wish you never sent them, I'm going to harass you with so many questions! Anyways, you been really helpful, can't thank you enough Scott!

Appreciate it,
Joe

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:18AM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Hey Scott, nice pics. How has surround worked out for you? I plan on using it this year to try and keep thrips in check on blueberry plants. Also on peaches, citrus and blackberries.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:28AM
superpoutyduck(9a)

I also plant in ground at 3' intervals and in wine barrels at 2.5' centers. We are a small family and each of our small 6' to 8' trees produces more than enough fruit for us.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:32AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

You're welcome Joe.

Blueboy, Surround works extremely well on plum curculio if you start the coating early and keep it up. It can also work well on stinkbugs and Japanese beetles, and gives some protection against moths. I have never tried it on thrips.

Scott

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:05PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Scott I had a few questions aboutthe pictures younsent me.. That blueberry hedge in the front if your house, what spacing? they are highbush right, look like rabbiteye to me..? How old are they?

That blackberry trellis: is it just one row of posts with a straight line or is there 2 rows of post parrallel with each other with two lines? What do you use as the "line"?

I was thinking about just using one row of t-post and strong wire spaced every foot up th post.. That should work right?

Appreciate it,
Joe

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:13AM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

Joe,
I space vinyl coated wire for the Blackberries three feet up from the ground and the next at five. Brady

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:01AM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Thanks. Where'd you purchase your wire? I was going to space my lines every foot, seems better for the vines... I only has two 30 ft rows, so I'm not to concerned about cos of the wire... What do you do for post?

Thanks,
Joe

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:05AM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

I bought the wire at a local hardware store that carries just about everything.
My posts are hundred foot tall Douglas Fir trees that I screwed eye hooks into.:) I'm going to start some more along one side of a carport,using the 4x4 supports, with sections of pipe attached at a couple of levels. Brady

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:17AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Joe, I think the blueberries are at 2'. I also crammed in some extras in back in between, I wanted to try a few extras. They were planted in 2002 and are northern highbush. I have a newer planting of southern high bush next to them which I don't see any pictures of.

I use the same spacing of wire as Brady, it works fine. I use ~11gauge metal wire, I think I mail-ordered it from orchard valley supply. That place has lots of good trellis building stuff.

Scott

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:57PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Your guys experience is invaluable..

Greatly appreciate all your help,
Joe

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Sponsored Products
Toledo Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
Gray & Ivory Elizabella Hand-Tufted Wool-Blend Rug
$199.99 | zulily
Raine Leather Loveseat - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
KitchenAid Pro Line Series 2 Slice Toaster
$299.99 | FRONTGATE
Declan Porcelain Table Lamp
$1,100.00 | Horchow