Garden Mint [Mentha Verte] information please

contrygirllynn35(z4maine)November 23, 2004

Hi I bought this mint at my local grocery store who sells year round potted herbs in the produce section, I cannot find much information on this at all, can this type of mint be used medicinally like spearmint and peppermint? what besides mint jellies can i do with this type of mint? thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herbalynn(Oregon, 7-8)

According to one of my sources (Hennriette) your mint is Spearmint.

Mentha spicata L., Lamiaceae.
Engl.: spearmint, garden mint...
Fran.: mentha verte.

Bookmark   November 24, 2004 at 10:58AM
limhyl(z8 NC)

You can use it in all kinds of things: iced tea, hot tea from the leaves, desserts, fruit salad, a lot of middle eastern foods call for mint (taboulli comes to mind). I like it so much that I just pick a leaf when I walk by and chew on it. Mint is good for upset tummies too. I would reccomend keeping it in a pot as it will take over the garden if you plant it in the ground. Theresa.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 6:16PM
moonwolf23(8)

Theirs also a yogurt sauce in middle eastern food that tastes wonderful on grilled lemon pepper chicken. The gyro sauce. Very cooling. wonderful to have on hot summer nights, or in the case of main hot summer days:)

Bookmark   November 29, 2004 at 1:24PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I think of spearmint as the 'savoury' mint, to be used with meats etc. I like a little chopped into a potato salad, and a roast lamb dinner isn't the same without old-fashioned mint sauce. This is the mint for Mint Jelly. Put a large sprig into a jug of icy cold water for a very refreshing drink. Make a Mint Julep out of this mint. Use this mint when cooking peas and carrots. Sprinkle some onto tomato slices for a delicious salad, or just toss some through a green salad.

I regard peppermint as the 'sweet' mint, the one used for desserts, confectionery etc.

Bookmark   November 29, 2004 at 4:24PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

bump,bump,bump.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
warming herbs
How do herbalists today believe that warming herbs...
carrie-ann
cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!
What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection...
jtranok
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
Which herbs to avoid in case of high blood pressure?
Hello, I am looking for information on which herbs...
John89
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™