Is there any point to growing Bali/Evans cherry in NJ ?

njbiologyMarch 30, 2012

Hi,

I'm growing the following varieties of sour cherry: Northstar; Montmorency; and Jublieum.

Is there any advantage to me having an 'Evans/Bali' cherry, since I can grow the above (I'm in zone 6b), assuming I can even get by with growing this variety in my comparatively warmer climate. Some have had success, it seems, in my zone, yet others haven't in a slightly colder zone, surprisingly.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Probably I wouldn't bother....that's stretching it, I've been hearing up to zone 5 or colder.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 7:31PM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

I'm a fan of Evans so I'll point out a few differences I've noticed between Evans, Northstar, and Montmorency. For me, Northstar and Montmorency were smaller and Northstar has been very sour. Evans produces much more heavily and has larger fruit. It also seems much sweeter than the others, although that may be because I net the Evans as it isn't ripe until a couple weeks after it turns red and the others I pick as soon as they redden and try to beat the birds.

Another trait of Evans is that it ripens several weeks after the others, extending the season unless you have disease pressures that would take the later bearing fruit.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 2:24AM
lucky_p

No. Been there, done that. It doesn't work here.
Yes, it's later-bearing, but that just makes it possible for plum curculio and other insect pests here to damage all the fruits.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:14PM
njbiology

how tall and wide does it typically get?

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™