2 Questions: Blackberries & Strawberries

skeeters_garden(6a)March 23, 2013

Blackberries and Raspberries:

Is it possible rabbits could have eaten some of my blackberry and raspberry vines over the winter? The vines on plants closet to the house are 3-6' in some places, the vines towards the back of the yard (where it's clser to a field) are much smaller and some are broke off complety - or appear to be just nubs with no vines now. They were planted last year and wer 2 year old plants from Rural King - they were all doing excellent by the fall - so was surprise to see some of them in that condition. I really need to get on building a good trellis this spring now.

Strawberries:

I read that it's good to mow down strawberries in the fall - but I did not do that. Should I do it now while their still dormant? Is there a need or benefit to doing so?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Yeah, rabbits will eat 'em.

I'm still learning about strawberries, but here's what I would do based on my experiences so far -- leave them alone. And then when they begin to flower in late spring or summer, pull all the flowers for the first week or two. Then blammo -- they will grow like you wouldn't believe and this will revitalize them. Not to worry -- they will also send out dozens more flowers. But the plants will be stronger and more lively as a result of delaying the flowering a bit.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™