Bayer Advanced on Fruit Trees

samsthumbMarch 19, 2013

My Mom is getting older and can't spray her fruit trees anymore. Is it possible to use a pour on product like Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub on her fruit trees this spring? Would it keep the worms out of the apples and peaches?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

You can use it against scale and other sucking insects, but it isn't effective on
Apple maggot or plum curculio.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:13PM
samsthumb

Will bayer address Japanese beetles? Any simple method she can use for non-sucking? Trees are too tall for her to spray.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:35PM
alan haigh

No, there is not a systemic product that is taken up by the roots to protect fruit crops. Even the able bodied hate spraying but there's just no way around it if you want to grow conventional fruit in the humid regions. Even in the more arid regions mounting pest pressure is requiring more and more intervention with some kind of spray program.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 5:41AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

who would want to eat a fruit that has been treated systemically ????

though i have no qualms about proper use of chemicals..

ingesting them is not high on my list ..

BTW.. is this a LABELED USE of said product.. if not.. there is your answer ...

is there a budget to hire out the spraying???

if not.. then its either time for the orchard to go.. or to enjoy them as flowering trees.. and harvest just a few of whatever decent fruit she gets ....

at some point.. it would be easier to buy a bushel for canning.. rather than deal with the upkeep of the orchard.. presuming that is why she needs the trees ....

ken

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:01AM
kittymoonbeam

I would try and find someone to help and then share some of the fruit in exchange. Picking it from a tall tree is hard work too. Maybe there is room for some new shorter trees.

I wouldn't like to eat anything treated with Bayer and it's very bad for bees which we all need.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:49PM
denninmi(8a)

Ken, the Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub is labeled for certain fruit trees, apples, pears, quince, and pecans among them. Not for stone fruits.

However, the Bayer Advanced Fruit and Vegetable formulation is the same AI, and labeled for many crops. It is a significantly lower concentration of the AI than the Tree and Shrub concentrate formula sold in gallons.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 3:59PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

thx denn..

who knew..

not really being an eco-warrior.. i still think i would pass on eating such ...

ken

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 6:27PM
alan haigh

There's also the point about what pests you need to control and as far as I know your truly damaging pests won't be affected by this product. Aphids are a relatively minor pest of fruit plants- what's tough are beetles like plum curculio and bugs such as stinkbugs and tarnished plant bug as well as moths such as Coddling and Oriental fruit moth.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:04AM
samsthumb

Thanks all of you. I think I knew the answer, just enjoy what fruit you get and enjoy the flowering trees.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™