Few flowers on Orient Pear

bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)March 23, 2013

We have a 13+ year old Orient Pear that has never put on much over a dozen flowers in a season. These are scattered throughout the crown rather than occurring on just one or two branches. It's topping 20 ft, gets sun, and appears healthy in all other aspects. Know this is not normal as we planted one in Houston that bloomed fully the first year and was holding fruit by the fifth.

Would keep it for the flowers even if it didn't set fruit; but without flowers, it will be mulch by August unless someone has ideas for its rehab. It was purchased from a usually reliable local nursery, but thinking now we got a dud. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

thinking it is a dud, also.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:03PM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

Your'e very patient. An orient should have fruit here in Dallas in 4-6 years. I'd have given up years ago.

Maybe the tree's mislabeled, maybe its on the wrong rootstock, maybe its just a bad spot for pears. At 20ft, it's hard for me to believe its overstressed.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:41AM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

@bhawkins: More oblivious than patient. Can't see it from a window, so thought I was just missing the bloom as there were a few flowers still on it as it leafed out - though in hindsight there were never many petals on the ground. Thought the lack of fruit might be that it was actually a mislabeled variety that is not self-fertile. But watched it daily this year to confirm it's just not blooming right. Don't think it is location because it is situated on the property much like the Houston tree that performed as you described it should. Thanks for confirming it should have been producing long ago in Dallas.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™