Asian pear with little black bugs

elihMarch 16, 2014

This is our first spring with this multi-variety asian pear. I noticed a lot of these little black bugs on the Chojuro variety.

I assume these are aphids? There's a couple of small leaves curled up with a bunch on them but it doesn't seem to be too bad yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eli

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Yes, aphids, use an insecticidal oil to smother those, or on a plant like that you may be able to spray most of them off with a hose on certain nozzle settings. In your area aphid populations will increase quickly. Not too bad yet could change overnight to just too bad!

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 11:07PM
melikeeatplants

Are there ants on the tree as well? If they are farming the aphids they are the problem. Stop the ants (tanglefoot is good around trunk) and ladybugs will take care of rest...

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 11:51PM
MohammadLawati

Or try spraying them with soapy water ;)
Do not put too much soap though!!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:59PM
larry_gene

Ladybug larva would already have to be present on the plant to control the current aphid population. I would not wait for that to occur for that particular plant.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:57PM
elih

Sorry didn't get alerts to all these. I don't see ants on the tree itself, we do have ants in a few places around the yard around the base of some citrus trees though. I'll try some soapy water and getting some ladybugs, haven't seen any around.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 1:20PM
larry_gene

Getting ladybugs is fine, but it is a long-term solution as most purchased beetles fly off after release to distant yards. Once several people in the neighborhood release ladybugs a viable population of aphid-controlling ladybugs and larvae may develop over months and in succeeding years.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™