upcoming freeze and blooming fruit trees

abciximab(7b/8)March 23, 2013

With a day or two close to 80 degrees and warmer temperatues in early March, I knew we might have some trouble. A lot of our plums, apriums, pluots and a few peaches and nectarines have started blooming. Some are in full bloom but no leaves yet. With this crazy weather, we are supposed to get down to 30-32 degrees nightly on Sunday,Monday, and Tuesday. What kind of effects should I expect from these temperatures? Is there any recommended protection? We have about 25 fruit trees blooming and some are pretty big. It's a very disappointing weather forecast!

Patrick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Patrick:

30F won't hurt a thing. Damage starts at about 28F, see link below. They are predicting 25F here but I expect lower. Amarillo is forecast in the teens all three nights. Everything is blooming there and here.

The only thing I've saved fruit with is a tarp and heat source underneath.

This is why I now grow in a greenhouse. But I also have outdoor fruit and several friends as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: illustrated spring frost thresholds

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 7:16PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Yeah..i don't begin to worry until temps drop below 28F...Even mid 20Fs and a lot of buds will survive... Anything below 25F for a few hours is probably bad for most fruit trees...

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 7:31PM
abciximab(7b/8)

Great information! Thanks! So there is hope of having some fruit.

I guess the same goes for frost damage? Two of the 3 nights are supposed to be windy and cloudy. The third night will be clear and calm. I'm sure there will be a heavy frost Tuesday night.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 9:19PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Clouds are the best thing possible to hold the temperature up. Clear and no wind is when the worst freezes typically happen. But frost doesn't matter. It's all about temperature which is pretty hard to accurately measure in an orchard setting.

After bloom damage starts at about 28 and gets severe at about 24F.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 9:45PM
Krazy-in-Florida

Thanks for posting that link. Great information.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 7:19AM
abciximab(7b/8)

The forecast keeps getting worse. The next three nights are supposed to be 29, 29, 30 degrees. I hope it doesn't drop any further! Monday and Tuesday night is predicted to be calm and clear. It looks like I still have a degree or two to play with.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 10:55AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

abc:

The front blew through here last night and we hit 25F instead of the 30F predicted. I covered a few things but one heater malfunctioned.

Maybe your forecast will prove better than ours. I hope so!

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:08AM
beeman_gardener(5)

We had similar weather last year, disaster. There was quite literally 'no fruit' last year.
Locally, no apples anywhere, plums, apricots, nectarines and peaches were a no show. The only stuff I had was black currants and a few BBs..
I just hope for your sake it doesn't happen to you.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:36PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

We had a total freeze out of unprotected apricots at 25F last night. These were past shuck split. I think I saved one small tree with a tarp and heat lamp. It will probably be even colder tonight so I'll be setting up again soon.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 6:57PM
mrsg47(7)

Oh Fruitnut, I am soooo sorry. Big ouch! Mrs. G

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:44PM
abciximab(7b/8)

Sorry to hear that Fruitnut!

I got up at 5:00 AM this morning to check the temperature. One of my thermometers showed 27 degrees, the other 29 degrees. I hope the 27 degrees was a bad reading. I guess we'll know soon?

One night down, two to go.

Fingers crossed!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™