Garlic oil, using alcohol soaked garlic

lunchbox623December 12, 2009

So I've read some posts about garlic-oil infusions possibly contaminated with salmonella and/or botulism.

Well this searching was done after I completed making my garlic tincture and I wanted to use the garlic "mash", if you will.

A solution to garlic-oil infusions, and correct me if I'm wrong, is getting the garlic acidic and dry? I don't know about the dry part, but I'm writing to see if anyone can confirm my hunch that garlic soaked in vodka for 3 weeks might be useful in making infused oil.

The process I was thinking about doing was low boiling the oil and garlic til the water evaporates and oil stops bubbling.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

You are probably wrong. I suspect that you will not be able to kill the botulism spores by simply soaking them in alcohol. You can pressure cook the garlic oil, or keep it in the fridge and use it soon after it is made.

Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 3:04PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

"The process I was thinking about doing was low boiling the oil and garlic til the water evaporates and oil stops bubbling.

Any thoughts?"

My thoughts.... With the heat you're incubating the botulism spores and speeding up the rancidity of your oil.

Bookmark   December 27, 2009 at 12:42AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

It occurs to me that you would need an autoclave to get the pressures needed to sterilize oil, best just to keep it in the fridge.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
Help... need your advice...
Hi, I know that there are a lot of knowledgable herbalists...
beth1
thyroid problems
I'd like to know if some of you with thyroid problems...
Peter.1210
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Poison Control Center substance categories in calls 2011 plants incl.
Thought I'd post this, list of plants with identity...
gnomeinplaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™