Espalier

MKMarch 17, 2013

What are your experiences with 4in one pear and apple trees? I'd like to espalier one possibly 2 trees on a 6-7' faux stone wall. I am in zone 9 and the wall roughly faces northwest with full afternoon sun. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I am not a fan of 4 in 1 fruit trees, to begin with, so would not select one for an espalier. Just looks like too many problems dealing with such a variety in a confined space. Al

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:01AM
princesspea(sunset14)

I have grown successful and very fruitful espalier fences in Seattle and San Jose using multi-grafted apple trees. The husband does not like pears and we only do apples. These are trees grafted specially for espalier- they are already in the flat form. I would rather go for the Dutch fence with different varieties but again, the husband is charmed by the grafted trees.
PP

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:42AM
swakyaby(9)

I would enjoy seeing pictures of your espalier efforts. I have 2 semidwarf Asian pears being trained against a 6 foot wrought iron fence in full sun. The branches are simply being trained horizontally. I like the effect.

I didn't try a multigrafted tree because they're a bit more expensive, and being a beginner, I feared breaking a precious branch and losing that particular variety.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Shaping and pruning some BYOC trees
In January I planted two peaches and two pears, intending...
brittanyw
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Blueberry
I stumbled on 3 strong mature (about 1ft heigh and...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Espalier 1 Light Lattice Pendant
$204.60 | Bludot
Three Blackbirds Graphic Print
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™