Bare root strawberry advice

gardengirl36March 5, 2013

I am new to planting strawberries. I purchase 25 june bearing plants and 25 everbearing plants. It has been about a month now since I have planted them and most of my everbearing plants are doing well. There is quite a bit of foliage on them and some are starting to produce buds. However, my junebearing plants are a different story. Roughly half of them are showing signs of life. Is all hope lost for the plants that are not showing signs of growth? Or do I need to give them more time or possibly different care? Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

In what zone do you live? Regardless of type of strawberry it is best to take off the first buds (flowers) that bloom. This is so the roots establish themselves. How long ago did you plant them. Mrs. G

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:28PM
gardengirl36

Thanks for the tip! I will go out and pinch off the buds on the plants that are producing them. I live in zone 8b and I planted them about 3-4 weeks ago.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:22PM
gardengirl36

Thanks for the tip! I will go out and pinch off the buds on the plants that are producing them. I live in zone 8b and I planted them about 3-4 weeks ago.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™