Reshaping a Peach Tree

VBeeMarch 21, 2014

Hi,
I have a mature Reliance dwarf peach tree that produced around 120 lbs of peaches that year, which was awesome. My problem is that I was very inexperienced when I initially started pruning it 6-years ago. In a nutshell, I let some upper branches grow out and shade lower branches. This caused the lower branches to grow outward to the point where the tree is probably 15 ft wide. I have been working at slowly removing upper branches to correct the shading problem over the past few years. I would really like to start some new scaffold branches so that I could eventually remove the very long ones that currently exist. I have some very vigorous waterspout that I'm wondering if I can bend down to become new scaffold branches. Anyone ever tried this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Peaches are not as cooperative of candidates for reconstruction projects as any other common fruit species, especially apples and pears- but vigorous water sprouts are just what you need to make new scaffolds.

I wouldn't spread them to fullt horizontal because, on older trees especially, this may weaken them and cause them to lose all vigor. Remove anything shading your chosen branches (watersprouts)- especially during the growing season.

Peaches can be the most difficult of species to maintain in an efficient and productive form, especially if there are any sources of stress- from over cropping to excessive competition from the roots of nearby forest trees (as well as excessive shading from their own high branches, as you mention). I can stay on top of the ones in my orchard but at sites I seldom get to they regularly get away from me.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VBee

Thanks for the reply, Harvestman. It's very helpful to have the advice of someone who's obviously had much more experience with this sort of thing than I have. I've tied a couple of the waterspouts at around 45 deg angles and concentrated most of my pruning to keeping the overall width in check, but without taking too much off. I am of course also trying to keep the shading to a minimum. -Lot's of things to keep track of.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™