Chaste Tree Berries . . .

theherbalistDecember 28, 2010

Now, I'm not criticizing, but rather I find humor in one of the posts which says (in part) . . . "Vitex is also known as chaste tree (to curb sexual urges) and at the same time as monk's pepper (an aphrodisiac)." (http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/herbal/1998040650007216.html)

Am I the only one who sees the humor in what it says about "monk's pepper (an aphrodisiac)?" I mean . . . think about all these horny monks running around the monastery/abbey all because they took an aphrodisiac.

Truth is, it was called monk's pepper because it depleted sexual interests. Wheww! Glad we cleared that one up!!!

Thank you for listening. Hope you all found as much humor in the post as I did.

Charlie

The Herbalist

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

A relatively recent explanation has it that Vitex was an anti-aphrodisiac for men*, but an aphrodisiac for women. Though this site says:

"In ancient Greek mythology the Chaste Tree was associated with the Greek goddess Hera who had domain over marital chastity. It is said she was born and nursed beneath a Chaste Tree on the Greek island of Samos.""

Duelling effects are not just postulated for Vitex. Awhile back I posted an online list of things cider vinegar was supposed to accomplish, which included helping just about any condition you could name. The author(s) claimed it was good for both weight loss and weight gain.

Some try to reconcile these contradictions by labeling certain herbs as "adaptogens", which comes across as a more science-y way of saying "Good for what ails you". ;)

*As to the monks, based on reports about what they were up to from ancient times on through Rasputin...if they were taking any anti-aphrodisiacs, they evidently didn't work so well.

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
insect bites remedies
I have used a chickweed salve and most bites clear...
samtom_gw
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
poultice for infection
My boyfriend broke his leg 1 1/2 years ago. He had...
June_Ca
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Headache after B12
I tried taking Vit B12 at the recommendation of my...
ghoghunter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™