Pros and cons of using pine straw for mulch

pjames(8/LA)March 18, 2009

I am considering using pine straw around the strawberry plants I am putting out. I wanted to keep the fruit off the dirt and to help with weed control.

I do not normally use pine straw around any of my vegetables. I add compost occasionally during the growing

season and weeds don't seem to be a major problem in my raised beds.

My main concern was if pine straw had any major benefits or caused any problems.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
someguyinmaine

Pros: Fairly inexpensive; lasts a couple years before it rots; easy to use

Cons: Can increase the acid of your soil, however strawberries are quite tolerant to acid soil

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 6:27AM
trisha_51(5 Nebraska)

What is pine straw? thank you.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 4:36PM
alan haigh

Pine needles do not significantly acidify soil. It's one of those old gardening myths. I have done soil tests beneath pine trees that have been mulching themselves for decades and the pH was identical to nearby earth in sod.

Soft woods don't extract as much calcium from the soil as hardwoods and so you will be adding less calcium but it will not be a problem. If you need a higher pH you should add lime anyway. I have seen demonstration vegetable gardens at very well known botanical gardens using pine needles for mulch.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 6:39PM
calliope(6)

I was wondering the same thing about using it to mulch in my strawberry beds. I have white pines as a windbreak around half of my old property line and the needles have been gathering under them for years. It seems to me it would be a tidy mulch with much less tendency to mat up like straw.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 9:52PM
sautesmom

I also have never heard about pine straw, so I googled it, and found a place that actually sells it on the internet! I guess you'd REALLY have to want pine straw!

http://www.pinestraw.com/pine-straw-faqs.html

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 11:31PM
alan haigh

It's an excellent mulch and has been suggested by some ag U.s as a new industry- gathering and bundeling pine needles. I guess it's starting to take off. I would definately use it if I had large enough white pines on my property.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 7:52AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

My son lives in the Paradise Pine area near Chico California. Residents there are required by law to keep the pine needles raked up as a forest fire prevention scheme. My grandsons made pocket money while in high school clearing the yards of elderly retired folks in the area. They hauled it to the local dump. It is very slow to compost, which makes it a good mulch. In a dry forest however it is a fire hazard. Al

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Sponsored Products
Brella Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Mocha Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
Kismet 100-percent Cotton 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Narita Media Console with Electric Fireplace
Grandin Road
Spillray Large Pendant by AXO Light
$613.80 | Lumens
Stainless Steel Utility & Compartment LED Light
Super Bright LEDs