Bee Balm or Snakeroot?

eibren(z6PA)December 31, 2010

In the plantings in front of my house, I made it a point to establish a little patch of Bee Balm so I could occasionally have some for tea.

At about the same time that the Bee Balm was planted, I began to notice what I thought to be a volunteer patch of wild asters, with tiny white flowers, growing under a tree nearby. They made a nice display in the fall, so I let them be.

After a few seasons, the volunteers drifted over into the flower area, and I began to realize that some of my "Bee Balm" no longer had a bee balm fragrance. Comparing the plants with those where my "wild asters" grew, I realized that some of those plants were trying to take over my Bee Balm spot, and, in their Spring phase of growth, looked quite similar, at least to the naked eye, to Bee Balm.

Investigating further, I found that my innocent looking "wild asters" were actually, in all probability, Snakeroot, which is known to be toxic to livestock, and responsible for toxicity in milk if dairy cows graze upon it.

Since both plants appear to enjoy the same habitats and can look quite similar to each other in the Spring, this might be something to watch out for.

I am unaware of any therapeutic uses for Snakeroot; possibly it could have potential for environmental vermin control, but I don't know what the risks of even that might be. I assumed that, initially, birds had dropped the seed under the tree, which would imply that they use the plant as a food source. I don't think as great a number of the plants would have grown in that spot simultaneously if carried in by air currents. Squirrels climb up and down that tree all the time and have not seemed bothered by it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Since you are in PA, I would suggest picking up a copy of Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. If you are not well acquainted with the wild flowering plants of your area it will be invaluable to you.

By snakeroot I assume you mean white snakeroot Ageratina altissima or as I still know it Eupatorium rugosum. It looks very different than asters since asters have distinct daisy-like flowers. Not so with Ageratina altissima or any of the Eupatoriums. See link.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images - White Snakeroot

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eibren(z6PA)

Thank you, Fata, those px do look like it.

I have several wildflower guides but I don't think Newcomb's is among them. Will keep my eyes open for it.

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
sassafrass poisonus??
A friend of mine has a woods by her house and there...
redring
Morgellon's syndrome
I have Morgellon's disease. I have seen the organisms...
cacye
wanted: yerba mansa and sweetgrass
I will pay postage plus trade for starts of these two...
lady_nikki
7 Powerful Turmeric Health Benefits & Side Effects
http://draxe.com/turmeric-health-benefits/
jctsai8b
geographic tongue
For everbody who suffers from geographic tongue, i...
rebeccaguimaraes
Sponsored Products
Stick & Pull Tape Dispenser
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Kidsplace Flushmount No. 30111 by Philips
$43.20 | Lumens
Ant Bee Pharmacy Floor Lamp by Robert Abbey
$346.50 | Lumens
Bee de Lys Gold Petite Window Valance
Overstock.com
Afina Beekman LS-BEE-SN 3.75W in. Light Sconce - Satin Nickel - LS-BEE-SN
$227.99 | Hayneedle