Oxytetracycline as a preventative/treatment for Pierce's Disease?

gonebananas_gwMarch 10, 2014

I notice that oxytetracycline (an antibiotic) is able to be used on fruit trees as an injectable and thus systematic antibacterial agent. This includes for fireblight on pears and certain diseases of peaches and lethal yellowing of coconuts..

I wonder if it also might allow susceptible bunch grapes to be grown in the south?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I'm sure they would have tried it. Sure wish they would come up with a treatment as I would love to grow concords.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 9:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonebananas_gw

I have found a bunch grape growing semiwild in a long abandoned yard (now a thicket) where the house was torn down many years ago, this in central SC where bunch grapes routinely die in a few years. It looks a bit like "Concord," tastes a bit like it, and ripens irregularly in a bunch as "Concord" is reported to do in hot climates. It must be PD resistant. Could it possibly be a "Concord" bud mutation with some PD resistance?

In any case, it got accidentally trimmed along the edges of the yard where it grew best in sunshine (a parking lot abuts). so I cannot get dormant cuttings this season.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™