loquat grown from the seed? any good?

preppystudMarch 29, 2014

can they reproduce the same kind if they are grown from the seed?

and how long will it take for it to reproduce fruit from a seed?

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kingwood(9)

It's a gamble. I took seedlings from two sister seedlings, both from the same mother tree. One sister seedling had large teardrop shaped fruit that was sweet and acidic before all the way ripe and very sweet, little to no acid when ripe. The other sister seedling was medium size and round, with high sugar and high acid, just like I like them. It also had an apricot flavor and fruited 30 days after the other seedling.

I took 2 seedlings from the large fruited variety and 1 from the medium fruited variety due to only 2 being available, and the person who introduced me to the owner wanted one.

The seedling from the large fruited variety is just like it's mother. My daughter talked me out of the medium variety and it was just like it's mother. Her tree died the year after bearing.

Although my trees were almost copies of the mothers, the original seedling sister trees were very different.

Seedlings should bear fruit from 3 to 5 years. My trees were @2 years old when I got them and they fruited the following year

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™