Growing kiwi in Az.

captaininsanoMarch 9, 2013

Does any one out there grow kiwi in zone 9b?. I just ordered a "Tomuri" and 2 "Vincent" plants and am planning on pots at first as they will be small and then going more permanant if they survive for a while I know they grow quickly in the right condidtions, but before I go and build an arbor or trellis system, does ayone have experience with them in Arizona, I looked up the best varieties for my area and that is what I ordered. I can shade them, but am concerned that even the ambient temperature in my area may be to much, in the summer reaching upwards of 110 or even more in the glory of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd think to have any hope in your heat you'd need at least a 50% shade cloth overheat and on the west. The best shade cloth I've seen is aluminet. It's expensive and not the most durable but is good at heat reduction.

Kiwi isn't the most heat tolerant fruit by any means. Also not tolerant of much wind.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 10:52AM
captaininsano

Thanks, fruitnut.
I know from what I have read that it could be quite a stretch, but I am going to try because the plants are going to be here soon. Do you know how much wind is too much I have a light breeze that blows through regularly but, where I plan to put them is in the southwest corner of my yard that is protected by a brick wall, this helps with the afternoon sun coming in from the west as well.

This post was edited by CaptainInsano on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 11:13

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 11:09AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

A light breeze is OK but they are less tolerant of wind than grapes in case you have experience there. Mainly the wind breaks out the young canes. Later in the year it's less of an issue.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™