Grafting Persimmons

AmericanchestnutMarch 5, 2013

I am planning on grafting several American persimmon seedlings this spring. The trees are two years old.
Has anyone grafted persimmons? Is the timing and process the same as for apples?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

You want to graft dormant scions onto actively-growing understocks. Best if scions have at least 2-3 buds.
I do mostly a simple bark graft, but did simple splice/whip grafts when I first started out, with near 100% takes.
Aftercare is the most important aspect - you've got to check almost daily - and keep buds/shoots below the graft rubbed off, or the rootstock will direct resources to 'its own' material, and the grafted scion will decline/die.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

I have had success whip and tongue grafting American persimmons. Wait until the first leaf is showing on the understock. Out here that's May-way later than apples, but as you see, it's the right time for the persimmon as it starts to grow. If you graft at the same time as apples it will be very unlikely to work. I have a different climate than Lucky. Rubbing out shoots is important, but not as crucial here. One thing that killed one of mine out here in our dry summers was just 3 days of hot weather when I didn't water it for the weekend.
Good luck.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™