Can Anything This Pretty Bear Fruit?

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bMarch 18, 2013

This tree is blooming in our new property, and I think it's a plum. Do any of you know if it's fruitless or if it will bear, and do you have an idea of which kind it is?

Thanks!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Looks like a flowering peach. Maybe what they call double flowering?

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:30PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Agree with fruitnut, a peach, but it may be producing. Watch to see if you develop fruit after blossom drop. What a pretty surprise!

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:16PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Nice blooms. I bet your planning on pruning the dead wood out. Should Suzi prune/thin the peach tree at this stage? I don't know much about peaches but know that they like dry disease free areas. How exciting for you. Anything that color in michigan at this time is welcome! The vinca minor myrtle is flowering by the foundation of my house.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:42PM
fabaceae_native

Even though you guys are the experts, I would have to say that it is not a peach at all, but rather a Dwarf Flowering Almond, a small ornamental shrub that is quite common in landscaping. I think you'll be convinced if you google this plant. Too twiggy looking and shrubby to be a peach.

In any event, it is purely ornamental as far as I know and if it produces almonds they are likely inedible. Sure is beautiful and tough though.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:09PM
alan haigh

Fab, I don't know of anyone here who is especially expert on ornamental woodies (how would I know?)- we tend to be more involved with stuff that produces fruit. Almonds are extremely closely related to peaches and anyone without experience with this one would probably assume it's a flowering peach- they were common in S. CA when I lived there and I was never aware of ornamental almonds. Of course the nurseries might even have been mis-identifying them.

In any case, I don't believe either will produce worthwhile fruit. The ornamental peach on my boyhood home in S. CA did not.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:51AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I will try to keep you all posted when the blossoms drop.

The tree is woody because the property we purchased had been neglected for many years, and we just turned the water on. Actually we are in process of getting the irrigation fixed. We have 1.4 acres of very rocky hillside.

Yes, I will prune out the dead wood.

Saw my first snake on that hill yesterday! I did my research. It was a gopher snake. They look like rattlers, but without the diamond head and rattles! I welcomed it, but it didn't feel like chatting! I told it to go get some gophers, as it slithered off!

There is one definite peach on the property. It is BIG and covered with peaches. I can't possibly thin them all, but I'll give it a try on some lower branches. Since this tree is small and spreading, it just might be that dwarf flowering almond.

Time will tell! I am crossing my fingers it's a peach, but the almond will be nice too! Even if it doesn't produce fruit, I'll be happy! That is one pretty tree! I will have one nut producer, and it's not yet in ground. It's a Beaumont Macadamia. Love those nuts!!

Thanks!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:50AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Many double flowers are sterile since the extra petals are formed from mutated stamens and or pistils. Double cherries, for example, rarely produce any fruit. I guess you'll just have to wait and see what yours does.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:35AM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Suzi, would you be willing to swap that gopher snake for...uh...anything?

Purdy tree.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:18PM
fabaceae_native

H-man, I did not mean any offense by my reference to some of you being "experts". You are more so than I, and apparently specifically in regards to fruit trees. I also realize that when an ID post is made on this forum the assumption is that it is of a fruiting species, which it turns out not to be in this case.

The common name "dwarf flowering almond" is indeed misleading, since it is not the same species as the edible almond, Prunus amygdalus, and probably why some have never come across it before. The Latin name is: Prunus glandulosa.

Interestingly, there is also a shrub native to the CA deserts that is variously called "wild almond, desert almond or desert peach" which has the Latin name Prunus fasciculata. It of course does not have double flowers.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 2:52PM
alan haigh

Fab, I was not in the least offended and appreciate your illumination on this subject. I'm pretty sure FN was not offended either, as the whole point of this forum is to discuss and hash out answers by offering contrasting opinions.

I do consider myself an expert on fruit plants but am mistaken about issues even concerning them on a regular basis. I welcome informative contradiction.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Sponsored Products
Fun Time Wall Clock by David Scherer
$260.95 | Bellacor
Colorado Kicksled - Mountain Boy Sledworks
$360.00 | HORNE
Tom Dixon | Bone Large Bowl
$280.00 | YLighting
Gold Medal Large Bean Bag
Overstock.com
Copernico 500 Suspension by Artemide
$3,795.00 | Lumens