Rooting hormone strength for blueberry cuttings

marc5(6aOH)March 6, 2013

I will soon be attempting to root some blueberry cuttings. From my first failed attempt, and from discussions here, I know it's not easy. Most folks here recommend rooting hormone. I bought some Hormodin 3 (strongest formula), and when I read the label, it indicated that blueberries should be treated with Hormodin 1 or 2. What do you pros think? Am I OK, or should I go to the trouble of exchanging this for the weaker formula?

Thanks,
Marc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Marc,
First of all,I'm not a pro,but I have had some success.
In all the written material I've found (so far),rooting hormone was not very effective for Blueberry cuttings propagation.It probably won't hurt,but what is more important is having a film of water on the leaves until roots form.
I use a Mist-o-matic and also a box with a timer and a pond fogger set in a tray of water,surrounded by the cuttings stuck in a peat moss/perlite mix.
The pond fogger method works fairly well and is shown by a guy on Youtube.
Are your cuttings from Winter pruning or new growth in Spring/Summer? Brady

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marc5(6aOH)

Brady,
Thanks for the ideas on the setup for rooting. I may give that a try for summer cuttings. Based on posts by tc88 and others noting success with late winter cuttings, I'm planning to try some this week. The plan is to make a wedge or long slice cut in the stick, apply hormone, place it in a mix of pine bark and peat, then leave undisturbed in an unheated barn until spring. Then shade and occasional watering. We'll see. Your observations on the ineffectiveness of the hormone are interesting.

Thanks,

Marc

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™