Looking fo advice on variety of pear tree planting

teamsturzMarch 8, 2013

Just joined-1st post. Have 4 Maple trees that are interfering with power lines in boulevard and must be removed. My City will replace 2 trees at no cost. I am attempting to get a 3rd tree provided by the Power Co. that will no longer have to absorb the expense of "v-ing" them out every 4 yrs. One of the options from my city is the Clevland Pear(supposedly power line friendly). I've read some BAD reviews of this variety on this site. HOWEVER, would it be a good enough cross pollinater for a more acceptable variety in my yard? If you were in MY situation, what would you plant in the yard? (Gotta tell you, the last 2 properties that I owned, I wanted a producing pear tree on - but never got around to planting one). Would appreciate any/all advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

If you plant a pear that is on quince rootstock or OHxF , it should be small enough to stay under the wire. Not all pears are compatible with quince. When you go to a nursery, ask them for the NAME of the rootstock. Don't accept "semi-dwarf". They often say that when they don't know or when they're too lazy to check it out and just want you to pay.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 2:27AM
alan haigh

Cleveland pear is, I assume, a relative of the Bradford pear of shopping mall fame- ornamental with tiny worthless (to people) fruit. Bradford flowers early and may miss most European varieties. Seckel flowers early enough and is pretty reliably self-fruitful anyway. Most Asian pears would likely be compatible.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 6:35AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Get some fruit out of the arrangement with some fruiting varieties.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 6:36AM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™