how much sulfur to use for blues

riverman1March 17, 2012

Today I bought some Epsoma organic sulfur for acidifying soils.

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/pdf/products/Esp_Soil_acidif.pdf

The label says to use 2.5 cups for established plants which seems like WAY TOO MUCH.

My soil pH is in the 6 range now and I would like to bring it down a bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

RM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ramble

Somewhere I was told a half a handful a couple times a year per plant.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:16AM
riverman1

That's kind of what I recall hearing too. I did a search on the topic but the recommendations seem to be all over the place from a couple tablespoons to several cups per plant!

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:03PM
john_in_sc

well... It depends on where you live... For example - we don't need ANY sulphur here at all... but our soils PH range is generally from 5 to 6.5.... I just throw normal lawn fertilizer on them and they do great.

What does your soil test say for soil PH?

Thanks

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 2:14PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

As John said it really all depends on your native soil OR what you have them growing in. If they are in pots or raised beds you have to be a bit more careful. Here I give each plant a couple handfulls every spring just scattered about.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 2:38PM
riverman1

Thanks guys........as I mentioned in the orginal post, my pH is at about 6 now. I guess I will go ahead with a few handfulls and see how it goes.

thx again.

RM

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:23PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Riverman,

It has more to do with your native soil PH. The soil will always try to return to that state.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 8:46AM
john_in_sc

If your PH is at 6 - why would you add any Sulphur? That's plenty acidic for anything that needs acid soil....

If you are really worried about it - skip the Sulphur and just go with something like an Organic Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron fertilizer... Epsoma makes a fine organic fertilizer for Acid loving plants.... I think it's called Hollytone or something like that...

Thanks

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 3:14PM
riverman1

The native soil is around 7, my bark/peat mix measures at about 6.5. My well water is also at about 7......and I'm pouring gallons and gallons on it all summer. As you guys know, blues ideally like a soil that is in the 4.5 to 5.5 range. My plants are just barely showing some leaves and I haven't fertilized yet and mostly wanted to give them just a little bit of a push toward acidity as I move toward summer. When I do fertilize it will be with either ammonium sulf or an acid loving organic fert of some kind.

Thanks again...........

RM

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™