Three-Year-Old Triple Crown Canes?

shazaam(NC 7B)March 30, 2013

I have a Triple Crown blackberry that I transplanted in the spring of 2011. That year, it sent up a single cane that branched nicely, and last year it fruited on the laterals. It didn't generate any new canes last year and the existing cane showed no signs of dying, so I left it standing. Now, in the spring of it's third year, the same cane is sending out new laterals. I've never seen this kind of behavior from my other cultivars (Prime Jim, Shawnee, Apache, and Chester), and I'm not quite sure what to make of it -- everything I've read says that blackberry canes die after fruiting. Is this common for Triple Crown?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I'm a novice and I haven't heard of this happening, but I've always wondered about it as well. Very curious to hear if anyone has played around with allowing blackberries and maybe raspberries to fruit for more than just one year -- not talking about the "everbearing" types but the regular ones like TC.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 9:38PM
murkwell

another member gave me a large triple crown transplant and it behaved similar to how you described. Unfortunately I cut off most of the floricane thinking it was done.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:58AM
ABz5b

One of my 3 triple crowns that i am testing did that. The blackberry didn't taste right when it did produce so i ended up chopping it off which in turn spurred extra growth. Has to do with a chemical
the plant releases when pruned.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™