Can Raspberries grow in clay?

silent88March 15, 2013

I dug out a sort of small rectangular hole (maybe 4 feet wide, 1.5 feet long, 1 feet deep, and filled it with azalea soil and planted some raspberries and blackberry plants. Well, the raspberries are beginning to send up shoots everywhere. Some have spread out about 6 feet away from the hole growing in the solid clay soil... just wondering if these may actually product anything, lol :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

S...I think you have done almost everything you can to obtain success. The one thing you may add in the future is gypsum. With avocados now....we attempt to breach/leach through the clay with gypsum. It is probably not a complete answer....but it may help. I recently got into growing blueberries. I decided to grow in pots. I think it should work out fine.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:50PM
silent88

Thanks for the advice maybe I'll get some gypsum. :) I think the ones in the hole I dug may do okay, but I'm curious if the ones that spread to the clay soil may actually grow and produce?

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:06PM
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

Yes the raspberrys will flourish in the clay... You would benefit more from compost,leaves,woodchips,etc applied to the top of your soil as a mulch.. If you truly want to do good for your soil, check this link out below. There is a free video to the right of the page that will answer all your questions. Please take your time and enjoy the video, your soil and plants will thank you..

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: True Sustainable Permaculture

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:49PM
ericwi

We grow everbearing raspberries in clay soil, here in Madison. Our soil is not pure clay, however. It is heavy and sticky when wet, but it does drain OK when it rains.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:09AM
NilaJones(7b)

Why wouldn't they like clay?

The area where I live is a major producer of cane fruits, and is clay soil. My rasps are happy in the clay and they produce heavily. I do give them a top dressing of compost once a year when I cut out the old canes.

You might want to reconsider, in your garden in general, the practice of filling a planting hole with soil that's different from the surrounding soil. Many people report that plants don't do well because the filled-hole acts like a pot, and the roots do not leave it. Topdressing may be more effective. And less work :).

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:37AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Gypsum doesn't improve drainage in clay soils unless the problem is due to excess sodium.

SoCal soils don't have excess sodium. So don't waste your time (to obtain & apply gypsum) or your money.

Jean
who gardened successfully for 30-some years in Long Beach,CA

This post was edited by jean001a on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 0:44

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:43AM
silent88

Thanks nila, sadly I planted these when I was less experienced. Luckily, they apparently have spread their roots about 5 feet each way out of the hole! :P

It's so strange that raspberries say will grow in clay soil!! I was under the impression that they needed excellent drainage and a lower soil ph (and also under the impression that clay soil was high pH), but I guess either way ill find out! :p

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 3:36PM
NilaJones(7b)

Te clay where I live is acidic (low ph). And I think of raspberries as a bit of a swamp plant. That may because I come at gardening from a xeriscape POV, though ;). I water mine once every week or two, in part shade, and that's more often than the rest of the garden in full sun.

I am glad your raspberries are happy :). I think they are pretty tough, adaptable plants, as long as they have water.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
raspberries
Hello F&O people, I wonder if you could help me...
eatsivy
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Repotting avos
I would like to know when to repot my avocado trees...
chez54
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Bubble Club Sofa by Kartell
$1,250.00 | Lumens
Walters - Cognac leather sectional with right-arm chaise
Interior Define
Pro Track 150 Watt Three Light Spiral Ceiling Light Fixture
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Primo Ceramic Chicken Setter Multicolor - 336
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Veneto Luce Archway Three-Light Dark Bronze Bath Fixture
$420.00 | Bellacor