why dont they sell strawberry seeds anymore?

bauerbachMarch 21, 2014

maybe Im crazy, but several years ago, I was able to easily find strawberry seeds. I went looking recently and found them absent. no at local stores, none at the major online seed sellers that I could find.

I see alot of root stuff, 10 plants for 6 bucks, and I guess thats not a bad deal, but Im still perplexed as to why no one would sell the seeds...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

I dont have much of a problem up here in canada..... Could have to do with the fact that many of the desierable varieties are only produced by runners and not from seed

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:35PM
berry_bob

This should help

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry seed store

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:56PM
StrawberryLover

I've been able to find one company that's on Ebay that sells different seeds including strawberry and blueberry seeds. Your right it is difficult to find suppliers of strawberry seeds.

I've bought from this company and had great results!

Here is the link below to Country Koi Fish Farm a company that's in Canada.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Water-Plants-For-Ponds

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Koi Fish Farm Ebay Store - Strawberry Seeds

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:42AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The seeds on the Koi site and the strawberry seed store are for Alpine strawberries which are normally increased by seed. As canadianplant said, if you want named stock you need plants. I notice that the blueberries on that site are also just generic 'Northern high bush blueberries.' Growing these plants from seed is a gamble. You won't get named cultivars from seed and if you want serious crops that's what you need.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:32PM
steve333_gw

I actually am trying to grow some strawberries from seed this spring. Got the seed from Pine Tree Seeds. There were not too many in the package (like 10-12). And so far I have only see 4 germinate, although they did warn that they are slow to germinate so perhaps there will be more. They are supposed to be a variety similar to commercial strawberies in size and taste (as opposed to alpines).

Will hopefully let you know how this works out later in the year. But Pint Tree may still have more of these.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:17AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, Steve333, you'reright, Pine Tree has two strawberries from seed in their catalogue which are not Alpines: Temptation and Sarian. The rest of their offer is Fragaria vesca.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™