Which Mango is most cold hardy?

bananafanMarch 28, 2007

I planted a mango tree in a pot, but it died after some cold spell. It lived to bloom twice, but never fruited. I think it was an ice cream mango. Does any one of you have anything to recommend--like a more cold hardy mango that is also good tasting? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ashok_ncal(CA z9b)

Bananafan,

Where do you live? Florida, California, or elsewhere?

In California, I think there's no question that Phillipine-type mangos like "Manila" have proven to be the most adaptable. I know of trees that have actually fruited outdoors in the Sacramento Valley. (Growing up against or between buildings, which does provide some microclimate protection.)

In Florida ... well, I've *heard* that many in Florida tout "Bailey's Marvel" as the cultivar best-suited to surviving in marginal climates. Some say that it really isn't more cold-resistant, but, rather, that it grows so vigorously that it can attain a large size quite rapidly.

Larger plants are better able to survive freezes, of course. Instead of being killed outright by cold-snaps, they often just die back to thicker branches. So great vigor could be an alternative route to surviving in harsher climates, even if the cultivar in question isn't intrinsically exceptionally hardy.

But all my Florida knowledge comes second-hand; so if you live there, or in an adjoining region, you better ask some locals to get the best advice.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 2:31AM
bananafan

Thanks Ashok, for the info. Yep, I live in Florida. I've read some on Bailey's Marvel--that it will grow to 40-45ft. Not a problem, except the question, how does one harvest the mango on such tall tree? I prefer the semi dwarf ones that grow to 20 ft like Carrie which some said has a very sweet tasting. The one I had was a dwarf one and I planted that in a pot, but with the cold factor, some seem to think that it will survive better in the ground.

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 5:27PM
ashok_ncal(CA z9b)

Bananafan,

Ah, so you are in Florida -- terra incognita to me, so you'd better take all of my advice with a grain of salt!

Having said that, if you're in a marginal climate for mangos, a "Bailey's Marvel" would probably be limited in size by that factor alone. So my guess would be that you wouldn't have to worry about how to harvest fruit 45' off the ground in any case!

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 9:05PM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

With proper pruning management, it can be kept to a reasonable size.

Gary

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
Sponsored Products
Louis Philippe 3 Drawer Telephone Table Nightstand - 058-13-81
$739.00 | Hayneedle
John Richard Aged Silver Scroll and Marble Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Luxury Printed Check Microplush Blanket
Overstock.com
Peacock Etched Glass Carafe
Classic Hostess
Ripples´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$335.95 | Bellacor
New Unique Celeste Blue Heriz 3x5 Hand Knotted Wool Serapi Floral Area Rug H5569
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™