When do figs bloom/fruit compared to others?

blackrag(6A East PA)March 20, 2013

So if 52 plums, pluots, peaches, nectarines, apples & pears weren't enough, I planted a couple Chicago Hardy Figs last fall due to "fruit tree gotta-have-sickness" like many on this forum have. When do they "wake-up", flower, fruit in the cycle or the typical - plum, peach, apple sequence? Thanks, Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediblelandscaping.sc(7b-8)

they don't flower. The flowers are inside the fig and with the varieties you bought pollination is not required. your fig trees should leaf out mid- late April if you are in zone 6A. go to youtube and watch a few videos on growing figs. Newenglandgardner make a bunch of great vids on growing figs. There are many hardy figs out there with different colors, taste, and sizes. Welcome to the world of figs. if you thought your Jonesing for fruit trees was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. we call it fig fever and once you've caught it..... well you'll see:)

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:18AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

isn't that the truth.......two years ago i had one fig.....a year ago 3 varieties.....today? Almost 50 varieties growing.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:24AM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I'm only at the early propagation stages of the disease, but if my excitement at propagating figs is any indication, I will be clinical by the time I get my first fruits.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 3:50PM
blackrag(6A East PA)

Thanks. I watched the NEnglander eat a plate of fresh figs. That's just not right.

Never had a fresh fig until last summer. I couldn't believe it!

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:04PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

yukkuri_kame,

I will be clinical by the time I get my first fruits.

You are not joking! I started out wanting about 4 apple trees and before I got a single apple (and I've only had a handful still) I had over 50 trees and various vines and bushes. I think if that first fruit came sooner it might satiate the desire for more, more, more! (but then again maybe not)

Oh, and yes, I first got 2 Chicago Hardy and now I have 7 more figs, and still have not had a ripe fig. I'm working in my technique for overwintering. So far even in my garage they died down to the root so by the time they sent up new sprouts and started to set fruit the first frosts were coming. I'll know soon if my new system works.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™