Rooting hormone to improve grafts?

marc5(6aOH)March 25, 2013

This study indicating that rooting hormone may improve grafting success intrigued me. Has anyone here experimented with it? It might help me with my difficult-to-graft nut trees, and improve the vigor of any grafts.

http://www.uvm.edu/ugresearch/ureca/posters07/Downing_C_poster.pdf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

marc,
It was discussed on some of the nutgrowers lists a number of years ago. I never got around to trying it, but might give it a shot this year - though my successes with pecan/hickory/walnut have regularly been so hit or miss, I can never really figure out why one graft took and another didn't.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 10:26AM
Edymnion(7a)

I always dip my tree cuttings in rooting hormone. I don't know if it actually helps, but I figure it can't hurt.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:11PM
copingwithclay

I do not think at all that I am beyond 'first grade level' in my grafting progress, with only a few hundred grafts. I frequently will let prepared scions stand in a cup with a couple inches of water enhanced with a few drops of Super Thrive for a few hours or even a full day prior to grafting. I want the sticks to be hydrated and nourished additionally before being abandoned on top of a branch that will not nourish it for a while. I let the waterlogged lower area air dry to a 'normal' amount of moisture before actually doing the graft......When the word Super Thrive is typed, I know...,the hair on back of some necks begins to rise....As in Dr. Ignaz Gemmelweis.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™