Elberta Peach

caldruidMarch 29, 2014

Hi,

I bought an Elberta peach sapling( no leaves ) from Costco about 3-4 weeks ago. I planted it in a spot where there is sunlight for about 6 hours everyday ( not direct sunlight but diffused ) . The soil is about 8 inches deep with the last couple of inches being a mix of sandy+clay. Ive been watering it about once a week. However, I still haven't seen a single leaf on it and it's been almost 4 weeks now.
In the same time, another sapling I bought - an apricot sapling, has started growing leaves and new stems. The apricot sapling is in similar soil and gets water just as regularly as the peach sapling. However the apricot sapling is in direct sunlight.

How long does it take for the Elberta peach to start growing leaves/stems/buds ? Is sunlight the issue here ? Should I be replacing the entire soil with new gardening soil ? Please help.

Prakash

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Sunlight isn't the issue on your current dilemma. It would start growing in total darkness, just won't turn green. Lack of adequate light might be an issue later on with fruiting but not now.

Your tree may just need more time. As long as the bark remains green when scratched it has a chance.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caldruid

Thank you fruitnut. I will give it a couple of weeks more and report here.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 2:55AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™