CICADAS!! How to protect fruit trees?

OmniApril 9, 2013

I have 4 fruit trees and they're all very young and under 2-5 years of age. The youngest ones are about 2-3 years whereas the 2 oldest ones are about 5. I don't think they'll survive all the cicada mating and all of that. Whats a cheap option of protecting the trees? I've seen netting, and I think that's the option I want to go, however can someone recommend a cheap, yet good brand for this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

I would be very surprised if the cicadas caused anything more than some minor scarring on your trees' branches. Cicadas prefer larger, heavily foliated trees to mate on anyway.

But, if you are going to cover them, have you considered using lightweight frost blankets? They are readily available in sizes big enough to cover small trees and not too expensive...

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Unless you use a frame to support the netting, the netting will damage and distort the tree more than the cicadas. This includes the light weight frost blanket. A tree can't grow properly when restricted like that.

A good covering over a frame is the black woven 30% polypropylene shade fabric. It doesn't snag on trees but needs support above the tree like anything else.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™