Can I plant raspberries and blackberries here; will they grow?

lilhouseonprairieApril 5, 2014

In an attempt to improve the microclimate surrounding my fruit trees I built a windblock from pallets. Yay upcycling!

The pallets block the West and then curve to the South which is where my trees receive the worst wind. I want to plant something on the EAST (inside the wall of pallets) that will grow up them and into the spaces of the slats. I was thinking raspberries and blackberries.

But will they grow here? They would get morning full run but only partial sun through the slats of the pallets for the second half of the day. Once they grew tall enough I don't think sun would be an issue.

But on the North side of the pallets blocking South winds it seems like that might get too much shade?

Thoughts? Alternatives? I considered bee attracting vines like wisteria and honeysuckle...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aphahn(6a CO)

I have my blackberries on the east side of my neighbors 6' privacy fence and mature trees. They do great and seem to appreciate the afternoon shade here in the high altitude sun. Mine are likely thornfree.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:38AM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

The Blackberries or Raspberries will be growing in between the spaces of the pallets?That will be quite a trick or a training job.
Maybe some kind of vine might be better.Where's your location? Brady

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 10:13AM
lilhouseonprairie

I'm North of Reno, NV.

Any time I've had to clear out berry vines they've been wrapped up and in between anything they could reach so I don't expect the pallets to be a huge challenge especially with some training. :)

Thanks aphahn, it's good to know the afternoon shade might go over well!

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 11:16AM
larry_gene

The caneberries will grow fine right next to the pallets, but only a small percentage of the canes will find the few inches of internal pallet space and guide themselves into it. Once established, they grow very quickly and you would have to manually place the tender tips inside the pallets every 48 hours, else they will shoot past a slat. It would be easier to just tie the canes up to the top slat once they have exceeded that height.

Rather than blocking the wind, the pallets will create a turbulence. Wind coming over the pallet tops will be deflected down. The wind may feel slightly lessened when standing within a few feet of the pallet row.

Are there any tumbleweeds in your area?

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 11:19PM
lilhouseonprairie

Hundreds of Tumbleweeds. I'm constantly collecting them and piling them into a compost pile. I think burning them does more harm than good.

The pallets are sort of temporary, though If I grow something on them I will leave them. They're here until rows of windblock trees establish themselves which will take a few years at best. I'll plant fast growing pines; scotch, white, austrain. But it will still take time! It is much warmer for several feet inside the pallets because you aren't being hit with the coldest winds directly.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 10:55AM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

I was thinking,for Blackberries,maybe leave the top slat on and remove the two below it and take away the one below the fourth one out.They look about five feet tall.My trellis wires are at three and five feet above the ground.That might make it easier to string the canes.Not better as a windbreak though.Brady

This post was edited by Bradybb on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 20:59

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Patriot Chimes Multicolor - 15171
$17.70 | Hayneedle
Orchid Juxtapose Pillow
$54.99 | Dot & Bo
Prichard Two-seat sofa - Slate Blue fabric
Interior Define
Succulent Print
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Serena & Lily Braided Abaca Rug
Serena & Lily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Organica Gold 4 ft. x 6 ft.
Home Depot
UV-C True HEPA Air Cleaner
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Red Carpet Studios Natural Jewels S Hooks - 30031
$14.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™